Birdsong Bows: A look back, and a look forward: Welcome 2012!

Friday, January 6, 2012

A look back, and a look forward: Welcome 2012!


First - my look back. Not at my own year, but at the life of an avid sewist. My mother-in-law sewed her entire life, and dedicated herself to the craft after her three children were grown. She's suffering from Alzheimer's, and can no longer do what she was passionate about for years. Her health is declining, and she now has 'round-the-clock care at her home after a fall in November. Mr. Birdsong and our oldest daughter, pictured above, took the 4 1/2-hour drive to the Cincinnati area to visit her over the holidays.

They brought back some of her favorite things - a sewing machine, serger, and many, many sewing books. Some were written as recently as the 1990s, while others...well, we'll just say they're oldies-but-goodies.




I'm sad to admit that, while we shared a love for sewing and quilting, I've really had a hard time talking to her over the past year. It's just difficult....to know what to say. Mr. Birdsong calls every day and my daughter tries, and I chime in here and there, but mostly I want to remember her the way she was, and not as she is now. I need to work on that; work on talking to her more (a good resolution, maybe).

I have been poring through her books, and really enjoy seeing and reading her copious notes, comments, and swatch libraries. I will learn a lot from her, even if she's not able to help in person:



Mixed among her sewing books was a glossy manual about this history of the Apollo missions, lol. Well, maybe it wasn't so mixed - maybe Mr. Birdsong brought it home "just because."



It's funny, because I had no interest in sewing until about 13 years ago, and then rushed to my mom for help. My mom is also a sewist, and even received a much-cherished Singer sewing machine for her high school graduation. I have that, too (so now I'm officially a 3-sewing machine, 2-serger house, yikes). I could not have imagined that someday I'd be sharing my sewing ability with others. Thank you, Mom!

For the past five years, Birdsong has been mostly about bows. In 2011 I branched into fabric flowers, and this year you'll see the addition of (you guessed it!) sewing patterns. (Yes, you've reached the "Looking Forward" part now.) They'll be fun and easy to make, even if you've just started sewing. At heart, I'm a craft and accessories sewer. I've made quilts for 10 years and love making useful items and accessories. You'll enjoy sharing what you've made with your children, and showing them around your house. In between I'll also keep creating popular flower and bow tutorials, because we all need flowers in our lives!

This blog will also undergo some small changes very soon - look for a new page design, advertising options and a great new site where you can get your tutorials instantly, without having to wait for me to wake up in the morning! Additionally, I'll be beefing up my blogging schedule and already have another free flower tutorial to add within the week. ;)

Have a blessed 2012, everyone! I can't wait for the ride, and I'm so glad you've decided to join me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

You brought back so many memories of my own Mother-in-law. I treasure the sewing tools I have of hers.

January 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Deanna McCool said...

Thank you, Pamela! Those are the best tools, I think...the ones that have been well-loved.

January 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home