Birdsong Bows: 4-H Sewing: Pinning and cutting the pattern

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

4-H Sewing: Pinning and cutting the pattern

I spent the weekend on sewing projects! First, I enjoyed a "quilt retreat" and invited a friend to sew with me on Saturday - we were both happy to have completed several blocks. I'll post my quilt progress here soon. I continued working on my quilt blocks through Sunday afternoon, when I stopped to help my daughter with her 4-H project.

Now, who really likes pinning and cutting? It's soooo not my favorite part, and I expected she would dislike it (as much as she did last year, when she sewed a pair of shorts). But she was in a good mood the whole time, evening admitting that she had fun. Fun? With mom? Now, I can't "make" her do anything she doesn't want to do, and sewing - even sewing a structured blouse - was always her decision. But I didn't expect her to have fun with what I consider the "non-fun" part.

Next is marking the notches, and then I'm going to cut out the pattern again on the piece of fabric she chose for me to use. As I mentioned last week, I plan to make her a blouse as well, to go through the pattern so I can help her construct her own. For the past two years she went to a 4-H sewing instructor, but that's fallen through this year...so it's just me and my hopes that I can teach her the proper way the 4-H judges want her to do everything. I briefly considered making a muslin before she started, but the sizes on the envelope are pretty much "true" to her body, so I figured we'd wing it. Fingers crossed!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Great pictures! She looks like she's concentrating so much in them :) Can't wait to see the progress! Good luck to her!

May 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Deanna McCool said...

Thanks Nicole!

May 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home