Birdsong Bows: Finding time for art

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Finding time for art

My birthday was on Monday. Unlike when I was a kid, it wasn't the shiny day of excitement that it used to be - we had celebrated over the weekend, and it was pleasant to get well-wishes from family and friends and even watch my Facebook feed fill up with greetings. But I was reminded of a tradition I started when I was teenager. Back then, I used to write a letter to myself to be opened on my following birthday. I still have some of these old letters. I'd ask who my friends were and whether I had a boyfriend (lol!). One letter was obsessed with whether I had won the science fair that year (I did - and even went to state!). I'd answer those questions the following year, and ask more.
I continued with tradition until I got too busy in college to worry about it, and I haven't picked it back up since then. But on Monday I was looking through my latest Quilting Arts Magazine and thinking about what questions I'd have for my upcoming year. I always have several projects on my plate, in addition to spending time with my kids, my husband, and my friends. I asked myself: In a year, will I make time for more art? I enjoy working with ribbon, sewing clothes, and making quilts, but I don't always feel I leave enough time to play with color and design. Somehow I feel guilty when I sit down without producing something that I feel is "useful."
The last time I gave myself permission was, goodness, before our second daughter was born 7 years ago! I made this art quilt after coming back from the AQS quilt show in Paducah, Kentucky. I had taken a class from a quilt artist and loved it. I finished my wall quilt from that class at home:

While I feel my hair bows are small pieces of art, and that the clothing I design and sew (and sometimes hand-dye) is also artistic, I need to spend more time with an art journal, a sketch book, and some dyes, paints, organic cotton ribbon and fabrics that aren't necessarily going to become a specific, finished project. To do this, I'll have to give myself the time and permission to play.
So, me of this year to me of next year: Did you spend time developing your art? I'll have to tune in next year.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

What a great blog post. I enjoyed reading your story of the past and how you plan to incorporate the tradition into the life again. I find myself feeling the same way. I would love to find the time to create something just for the love of art or just because I have always wanted to try it. Thanks for the inspiration and happy belated birthday!

March 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Deanna McCool said...

Thank you, Christine!

March 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home