Birdsong Bows: Bring back the '80s...new braided barrette instructions!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Bring back the '80s...new braided barrette instructions!


When I started making bows in 2006, my mind immediately went back to the 1980s, when my mom made me two-color braided barrettes in every color to match all of my outfits. I had really long hair, so she made the tails extra long and added the most beautiful beads to the ends. I'll have to ask her if she has a photo of me wearing one of her creations. If she finds one, I'll post it here!
I decided to resurrect this style of barrette, and added a variation so you can learn how make these in two, three or four colors. The new tutorial is available in the Birdsong Bows and Patterns Etsy shop starting today. I've included information on where to get your supplies as well.
These are fun and easy barrettes that you can work on with your tween or early teen daughters! My 10-year-old took a copy of my e-book (one that I printed out for editing) and declared that she wanted to make these right away. You can also add some cute monogram buttons to the top of the barrette for even more personalization.


Thanks so much to Christa of A Hope and A Wish Photography for her wonderful photos! Aren't they fabulous?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

I had these barrettes too! Oh the memories. When my girls are older and have enough hair, I'll make them some too. Remember, Twist-a-beads? I think that was the same time period. I'm 38, and I think this was around the 4th-6th grade.

February 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM  
Blogger Deanna McCool said...

I'm 39 but don't remember twist-a-beads? I'm going to have to Google those! Maybe I'm just not remembering the name...

February 10, 2011 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I had these...and I LOVED them! I think my girls would like them, too!! I was actually thinking about these last week, and the rainbow barrettes I used to have (a piece of plastic canvas cut into a half-circle, with ROYGBIV ribbon weaved through each row). I might have to try those, too! Thanks for the trip back to childhood!!

February 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM  
Blogger Deanna McCool said...

Courtney, I remember the rainbow barrettes!

February 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger bless their hearts mom said...

OMG- they're back??? LOL

Guess it's a good thing I have a secret stash of ribbon for them!

Thanks for the memories and how to!

February 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home