Birdsong Bows: Making time as a WAHM

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Making time as a WAHM

Summer is here, and I love it! I enjoy taking the kids to the pool and dreaming up things to do....but, since I work from home, it's been tough to create that perfect work-life balance lately!
Running a business from home AND being chief play-date captain, head chef, chauffeur, and boo-boo fixer has proven tough. I spend the first half of the day mostly working, but it's not quite the same as when the kids are in school. And when the weekend hits, well...let's just say I insisted my husband take the girls to the pool today so I could get a little work-time in. Let's face it: It's work-time, me-time. My husband comes home from work. I stay at work, all day!
One of my "jobs" lately has been to help my 10-year-old daughter with her 4-H sewing project. We purchased the PDF pattern from Tie Dye Diva, and it was a little challenging for my daughter, but not too much so. My daughter attended sewing classes with the 4-H team leader, and I "filled in" at home. She'll turn the shorts in this week and find out what place she'll receive.



My girls have an interesting perspective on work, since they see me doing it (and I often need to remind them, "I'm working now! I'll play later!") My 5-year-old is a bit too young to understand -- at her kindergarten entrance evaluation, the teacher asked her where her dad worked. She simply said, "At work!" The teacher then asked where her mom worked. She said, "At the table!" LOL!
And my older daughter, who made the shorts, talks during every sewing session about how she's going to open an Etsy shop and sell clothes and bows and pictures she draws. She'll need a bit of practice, but I have to appreciate that she's a self-starter. Love the entrepreneurial spirit.
On tap for this week? Two doctor's appointments, one 4-H project drop-off, chauffering back and forth to "zoo camp" for one of the girls, being a judge for a local newsletter contest, working on my business, and doing some fun things with the kids, which includes spending some time at the fair. I should sleep well!
If you work from home, how do you balance it? I'd love to hear from you!




Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Christie Y Brown said...

This is something that I am always fighting with and never seem to win at! lol I wish I could find a happy balance but it seems that one is always stronger than the other.

June 28, 2011 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger mariaclaudete said...

Sou sua seguidora e adoro seu trabalho, em nov
embro vou fazer a festinha de aniversario de 4 aninhos da minha filha maria ester e o tema da festa vai ser "Branca de Neve", gostaria de saber se voce faz algum tipo de tiara ou arquinho como chamamos aqui no Brasil)com esse tema. aguardo seu contato. Um beijo. mariaclau_dete@ibest.com.br

June 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Deanna McCool said...

Muito obrigado! Agora eu não estou recebendo pedidos, lamento! Eu estou trabalhando em apenas padrões. :) Eu tenho certeza que você é menina será lindo.

June 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home